The Risks of Driving Your Winter Tires in Summer
What happens when you drive on winter tires in summer?
- Winter tires are designed work best in the cold and are less effective at dissipating heat, so the risks of overinflating and blowouts are much higher.
- The rubber compound is much more flexible, which affects how your vehicle handles and feels on the road, especially when you make sudden turns, which often results in a loss of control.
- Since the rubber compound is softer, the tread changes shape more. This creates more rolling resistance and uses more gas.
- When you drive on winter tires in summer, you reduce their lifespan by close to 60 per cent, as opposed to if they were only used in winter conditions.
- Tire technology has come a long way, but winter tires are still much noisier than summer or all‑season tires.
What you absolutely need to know for your safety:
- Driving on winter tires in summer increases the braking distance by at least 10 per cent on dry pavement and 26 per cent on wet pavement!
- Driving 70 km/h on wet pavement increases the braking distance by up to 42 per cent!*
- Driving 90 km/h on dry pavement increases the braking distance by up to 19.3 per cent!*
Contact your local Point S dealer to get your tires changed. Click here to find the Point S dealer nearest you.
*Study on the Effectiveness of Winter Tires in Summer by CAA.
You may also like
Select the Right RV Tire
Summer is just around the corner and all festival-goers and travellers will soon be ready to set off adventure seeking with their RV. However, before hitting the road it is important to install the right tires on your recreational vehicle. With that...
What are the Best SUV Tires of 2019?
- Summer tires
- Top 5
Find the best winter tires for your SUV by clicking here. When purchasing an SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle), we expect the tires to be of the same quality as the vehicle. Are you looking for winter tires for a Jeep Cherokee, a Hyundai...
7-Days Exemption Clause to Install Your Winter Tires
- Winter tires
Will you be changing vehicules between December 1st and March 15? Did you know that you can enjoy a 7-day extension allowing you to PURCHASE and INSTALL your winter tires at the location of your choice? This extension is granted when: you...
Flat tire? Here’s how to install a spare tire in 8 steps
It’s that dreaded moment drivers hope they’ll never have to face... Having to install a spare tire on their own! Maybe you’d rather keep telling yourself that it’ll never happen to you. We get it. However, the chances are...
What are the best summer tires for 2022?
- Best summer tires
- Top 5
Michelin – DEFENDER T+H : SYNONYMOUS WITH DURABILITY One of the top-selling Michelin products, this tire has proven its worth. The Defender T+H is designed to deliver a quiet, comfortable ride thanks to its Comfort Control TechnologyTM,...
Studdable winter tires: Are they for you?
- Winter tires
Are you in the market for tires that will keep you safe this winter? Do you live in a remote area, far away from major roads and cities? Does it get extremely cold and snowy in the winter? If so, then studdable tires may be right for you. You might...