How To Read a Tire Sidewall?
How to read a tire sidewall?
In addition to the tire brand and model, the sidewall always indicates the critical information regarding size and capacities.
Here is the explanation for the different details of a tire identified as 185/70 R 14 88H:
- 185: Corresponds to the width of the tire’s section in millimetres; the higher this value, the wider the tire.
- 70: Determines the ratio between the sidewall’s height and the section’s width; in this example, the sidewall’s height equals 70% of the section’s width. The lower this value, the lower the tire’s profile.
- R: Refers to the construction type: R = radial.
- 14: Tire’s inside diameter expressed in inches; it obviously should match the rim’s size onto which the tire will be mounted.
- 88: Load rating the tire can support at maximum inflation; in this instance, 560 kg (cf. chart).
- H: Indicates the speed rating for which the tire has been designed; this tire can therefore be driven at a maximum speed of 210 km/h (cf. chart).
You may also like
What are the Top 5 Winter Tires for 2019 ?
- Top 5
- Winter tires
Since the beginning of 2019, all vehicles registered in Quebec must be equipped with winter tires by December 1st. This year, the winter tires will be coming out earlier! To ensure your safety on the road, make sure your winter tires are adapted to...
WHAT ARE THE BEST SUV AND LIGHT TRUCK SUMMER TIRES IN 2021 ?
Spring is back, it's time to think about your summer tires! Some people don’t think it’s necessary, but driving on winter tires in summer does pose some safety risks for you and your familly, which is why we recommend buying summer...
Winter Tires: A Closer Look at Innovations
- Winter tires
Long gone are the days of the horse-drawn carriage! The research and development teams of tire manufacturers just keep on coming up each year with more innovations. From intelligent studs to tires with a reduced ecological footprint, advances in...
How and Why Should You Recycle Your Used Tires?
Did you know that there are many recycling programs across Canada for old tires? In Québec, RECYC-QUÉBEC has been running its program for 28 years now. In most of provinces, fees from $3 to $13 are charged on the purchase of new tires...
What are the Best SUV Tires of 2019?
- Summer tires
- Top 5
Find the best winter tires for your SUV by clicking here. When purchasing an SUV (Sport Utility Vehicle), we expect the tires to be of the same quality as the vehicle. Are you looking for winter tires for a Jeep Cherokee, a Hyundai...
What are the best summer tires in 2020?
- Best summer tires
The beautiful season is upon us! And it's synonymous with warmth, vacation and ... summer tires. That said, when it comes to shopping, it's not always easy to make the right choice. But don't forget: you have to make a choice according to your own...